Change Wordpress Default Admin Username
Wordpress is a great website content management system which also makes it a big target for hackers. One flaw is the use of the admin login name admin. We want to show you how and encourage you to change this over quickly to cut down on hacking attempts.
Change the Name Manually by Adding a New User and Deleting the old Admin User
This method is very easy and anyone can do it right away to have a more secure admin username for a WordPress site. The main logic is to add a new user and assign administrator role, delete the default admin and attribute all content of the old admin to the newly added one.
Start by logging into your Wordpress Admin area to Add a New User
From the left-hand menu, hover to Users and choose Add New
- Fill in all required information and remember to create a harder-to-guess username (that’s our purpose). In the Role drop-down menu, choose Administrator so that this new user has the rights as an admin. Then click Add New User.
- Logout of the Admin Account by hovering over your username in the upper right corner of your screen and click log out
- Now login with the newly created Admin login credentials
- Delete the Original Admin Account by click on All Users in the Users section of the menu. Then hover your mouse of the original Admin and click Delete.
- Confirm that you want to delete the account